Frequently Asked Consignment Questions
What is Consignment?
Consignment is the process by which we sell your furniture in our location, while you still maintain ownership of the goods. “Consignment” simply means “we sell it on your behalf”. Consignment furniture doesn’t mean it is heavily used and it doesn’t mean it’s old. Many of the items at Encore are nearly new and can still be found in retail stores. Encore only accepts the best quality furniture with styles that appeal to a large number of customers.
Why should I consider Consignment?
Are you downsizing, relocating or redecorating? Are you dealing with a difficult family situation? Do you have wonderful home décor items in your home that you no longer utilize or that fit into your home’s current design scheme? Encore offers SOLUTIONS and is the perfect place to showcase your items for others to purchase and enjoy. We will stage, advertise and market your items in our exciting showroom in order to give maximum visibility to buyers and ensure a quick and profitable sale of your décor.
Consignment with Encore is Simple, Safe, Smart and Sensible! WE PROVIDE SOLUTIONS!
What do you accept on consignment?
- Original / Framed / Decorator / Canvas / Prints
- Metal and iron wall hangings
- Decorative accessories
- Decorator Rugs (4 x 6 or larger)
- Holiday (Seasonal)
- Small accent furniture
- Clocks (table top, hanging, grandfather)
- This is a sample list, call for more information
- Beds: King-Queen-Full-Twin
- Daybeds, bunk/loft bed, futons
- Dressers & mirrors, nightstands, some wardrobes
Living Room furniture
- Sofa, loveseat, sectionals, chaise lounge, recliner, tables, chairs, ottomans, entertainment stands.
- Upholstered or Leather: Age 5 years or younger preferred. Mature pieces will be considered and accepted based on condition, brand, style, & color
- Entertainment wall units on a select basis
Dining Room furniture
- Table and chairs, server/sideboard, china cabinets, pub table & chairs
- Bars, barstools, wine & liquor cabinets
- Desks, credenza, hutch, decorative file cabinets
- Decorative chest, curio cabinet, bookcase, baker’s rack
Outdoor Furniture (Seasonal)
- Chairs, tables, chaises, dining set, umbrella, accessory items
- Approved on a select basis
- Approved on a select basis
What brands do you accept on consignment?
BRANDS WE ACCEPT:
- Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams
- Hancock & Moore
- Crate & Barrel
- Hickory Chair
- Restoration Hardware
- West Elm
- Drexel Heritage
- Marge Carson
- Ethan Allen
- Jonathon David
- Pottery Barn
- Maitland Smith
- Pennsylvania House
- Tommy Bahama Jonathon Charles
- Ballard Designs
- John Widdecomb
- Williams Sonoma
- Ralph Lauren
- Jeanne Reed
- Fitz & Floyd
- Villeroy & Boch
- Dept 56
- Mark Roberts
Quality & Criteria Guidelines
Encore accepts quality furniture in nearly-new condition (an 8 to 10 on a 10-point scale). Merchandise must be clean and ready to be presented for resale.
Upholstered and Leather Furniture
- Seat cushions are to be vacuumed on top and underneath
- Free of rips, stains, tears, worn upholstery
- Free from discoloration from sunlight or inconsistency of fabric
- Smoke free / Odor free/ Free of pet hair
- Cushions should have little to no indication of sagging or lack of original shape
- Stable construction
Hard Goods (Wood) such as Accent Tables, Dining Tables/Chairs, Bookcases, Bedroom furniture, etc.
- Free of watermarks and discoloration
- Free of major scratches, chips or other noticeable flaws
- No broken or missing hardware pieces. Drawers and doors must operate properly
- Hardware for items that are not pre-assembled must be in a plastic sealed bag and labeled appropriately
- Legs and frame must be sturdy
- Beds require all hardware for assembly (parts, slats, rails etc)
- Painted furniture on a select basis
*Note: There will be a quality inspection of your pieces upon arrival at the showroom. Prior to final acceptance for consignment, we reserve the right to decline any items that do not meet our quality standards. A minimum cleaning fee of $15 will be charged if item(s) require excessive dusting or cleaning prior to display on the showroom floor. Items that require repair: parts and labor will be charged. These charges will be deducted from your first consignment check.
PLEASE: Make one final inspection of all furniture to remove clothing and other personal items!
Are there items that you DO NOT accept on consignment?
We do not accept:
- Armoires & China Cabinets (individually, not part of a set)
- Exercise equipment
- Lacquer finishes
- Adjustable Mattress Foundations
- California King Beds
- Lamps without shades or with yellowed/damaged shades or that require updated wiring
- Particle board furniture (unless approved)
- Art – faded prints, without a frame, art with dated matting or framing, art which may be offensive
- Victorian style seating
- Musical instruments
- Sewing Machines
- China sets less than 4 place settings
- Items with missing or broken hardware
- Items in need of major repair, cleaning, refinishing or re-upholstered
- Furniture with water stains or noticeable scratches on the primary surfaces